Postoperative instructions after cosmetic reconstruction
After cosmetic reconstruction:
The care recommended here should be followed to promote healing. Note that after surgery, it is normal to feel some discomfort and swelling.
Day of surgery
- Keep the pads in your mouth for an hour or two, maintaining firm pressure, and change them every half hour as needed.
- Apply ice to the cheek at regular intervals (20 minutes of ice every hour).
- If you are bleeding, take a lightly moistened gauze pad or tea bag and bite down on the pad or tea bag for 20 minutes.
- Blood flow and saliva staining are normal postoperative effects.
To be avoided
- Do not eat anything until the bleeding has stopped.
- Avoid drinking through a straw.
- Avoid rinsing your mouth or spitting.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol.
- Do not eat hard foods.
- Don’t exercise intensely. Take a rest.
- However, if you are bothered by pain, take the medication that has been prescribed for you.
- Consume only soft foods or warm liquids.
From the next day until full recovery
- Rinse your mouth three times a day with warm water and salt (2 ml or 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 250 ml or 1 cup of water).
- Brush and floss daily to remove plaque and ensure better long-term results. Avoid brushing the sensitive area for the first 72 hours.
- Avoid hard foods (nuts, candy, ice cream).
- Be aware that smoke, coffee, red wine and tea can stain your teeth.
- If you play sports, ask for a custom-made mouthguard.
- You may have difficulty with pronunciation and increased saliva. This should settle down within a week.
- Bruises may appear on the skin. They will disappear after five to seven days.
- You may have difficulty opening your mouth. This should subside after four to five days.
- If, after three days, the pain increases instead of decreasing, call us.
It is important to know that the brain takes some time to recognize the new position of the teeth or their thickness. It is therefore normal to allow a few days or weeks before you can close your mouth properly. If after several weeks the problem persists, call us at 450 465-7800.